Saturday, June 03, 2006

"Oh Lord, you know, I don't"

In Ezekiel there are some interesting stories ... one being in chapter 37, where God shows Ezekiel a valley of dry bones. God then asks him, "Can these bones live?" Ezekiel replies, "Oh, Lord, you know, I don't." That is the attitude I want to go through life with ... remembering that God has the answers and I don't. Remembering before I take action or give answers to others, I need to take the time to connect with Him to hear/see/experience Him giving life to dead bones.

Oswald Chambers, in My Utmost for His Highest, explains it this way ... "Can this sinner be turned into a saint? Can this twisted life be put right? There is only one answer: Oh, Lord, you know, I don't. Never trample in with religious common sense and say - Oh yes, with a little more Bible reading and devotions and prayer, I see how it can be done. It is much easier to do something than to trust in God; we mistake panic for inspiration. That is why there are so few fellow workers with God and so many workers for Him. We would far rather work for God than believe in Him."

It is so easy to react to situations or people with our ever-ready Christian lingo and handy Bible verses. So, how do we believe in God, rather than 'work for Him'? I think it might start with remembering we don't have all the answers.

No comments: