Thursday, October 29, 2009

STORY Chicago

I've spent the past two days at STORY 09. The place, the music, the speakers = WOW! I love new info and questions to think about and process. It was a meeting of great minds and thinkers. Some of the thoughts were new, even edgy - a few raised questions for me. But still others were familiar and comforting - I'm happy to realize I'm not the only one thinking some of this stuff! I'll be writing more about it soon. (I think)

The overall theme was - learning how to communicate God's story and our stories better. And to not be afraid of our own stories - the good, the bad and the ugly. It was exactly the inspiration and motivation I needed to finish this darn book I've been writing the past four years. The book is my story of - major trauma, miracles, pain, amazing recovery and limitations that affect me now and will continue to for life.

And Hurricane Reality!

Hurricane Reality is what I've named the emotional and spiritual place I was sucked up in for a year or two post-accident as I tried to come to grips with this ...

 April - 2009


From injuries received in this accident - May 20, 2004, near Valencia, CA

I was a marathon runner pre-accident and woke from being in a medical coma for ten days to find out that I almost died, they almost amputated my leg and even if it healed, I might never walk again, due to that injury and several other severe ones (my pelvis and right femur were also shattered)

Today, I not only walk, but I run again - on my own two feet!

 June - 2009
  (Is there a pirate movie/show somewhere that I can be in?!)

The journey of accepting the lifelong effects was tougher than the physical recovery. In the process, I learned new things about God and myself. I've learned how to live in the tension of celebrating the miracles, while being real and honest about the disappointments of living with this for the rest of my life. I've written most of the story of our trip, the accident and my physical recovery, but I've been scared to write about my emotional and spiritual journey, because some of it is edgy and 'off base.'  STORY has inspired me and given me the courage I need to write my story.

Thank you Ben Arment and the STORY team!

15 comments:

Lisa said...

What an inspiring story! God bless you and keep you!

:)

Lisa

katdish said...

Get busy on that book! Can't wait to read it. Just a little jealous about the conference now that I know about it. Ben Arment is one sharp cookie!

stgoebel said...

Holy crap, my love!! Please keep writing. You have a host of people cheering you on and praying for you!! You can do it!!!

zealot said...

Janet, thanks for sharing your story. I was moved and inspired.

Dave Gibbons

Mary Beth said...

Janet, so glad to meet you at Cultivate and Story! It's great that you have been prompted to share your emotional struggle of all you dealt with after your accident. Can't wait to read it all. Blessings!

Janet Oberholtzer said...

Thanks for all your encouragement! I will be writing in the coming weeks, but right now I need a hot tub bath, my body is aching!

Ben Arment said...

Janet, your story is remarkable. Really wish I could have met you in Aurora... thanks for sharing this. God is going to use you in a huge way.

Anne Jackson said...

um.....wow....i had no idea...well i did from our convo, but a pic is worth a thousand words. wow.

Jo said...

Janet, wow, I had no idea about your story. SO very powerful. I got a bit choked up seeing you post-accident, poised and ready to run with a "because I can" shirt on. Forget the pirate movie auditions. You've got enough inspiration here to make a movie about your own story!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

A wonderfully compelling story. You are a brave lady! You have my admiration! Cathy

deemus said...

I ran across your blog over at Flower dust. I must say, you have my attention. Your blog is now on my regular read list.

Godspeed in your Journey!

Unknown said...

wow, good for you!

Cassandra Frear said...

Wow. I think you could teach me a thing or two about courage and endurance and perseverance. I am so impressed with your story.

deleted said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

keep up yr spirit.. i too was in an motor vehicle accident and suffered many broken bones- lower back, cocyx, pelvis, both knees, left tibia-fibula, i am able to walk but never regained my lower right leg so i use an afo, although my body will never look normal i am happy i am here, living and enjoying life to its fullest!