Tuesday, October 06, 2009

My bookclub

I've had a bookclub that meets at my house off and on over the past few years. Some of the readers stayed the same, some have changed - one thing that has never changed is that it's always been fun and interesting. This month we read ...

Julie and Julia:

My Year of Cooking Dangerously
365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen

"Julie Powell, nearing thirty and trapped in a dead-end secretarial job, resolves to reclaim her life by cooking in the span of a single year, every one of the 524 recipes in Julia Child's legendary Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Her unexpected reward: not just a newfound respect for calves' livers and aspic, but a new life-lived with gusto."

I have not seen the movie, but plan to when it comes out on DVD. I didn't really care for the book until about 2/3 of the way through it. By the end, I liked Julie and the book. More about the book tomorrow after hearing the other's thoughts tonight.
Since it's all about cooking, tonight's meeting is about reading and eating! Each person is bringing a dish from the cookbook tonight. My dining room is small, so I debated asking one of the others to host it, but decided we've fit the mood of the book better, because Julie lived in a small apartment during her year of cooking. This is my table now, with "Julie & Julia" and "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" - check back for pictures tomorrow to see what it looks like tonight as we
"Eat, Drink and Be Merry"

No comments: