Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunday Saying

Rest. Rest. 
Rest in God's love. 
The only work you are required to do    
is to give your most intense attention to 
His still, small voice within. - Madame Jeanne Guyon


This quote brought comfort to me during the second year of recovery after receiving nasty injuries. My early recovery was fast and I could literally see my wounds heal week to week, but a year later, the recovery slowed dramatically and was mostly internal. I couldn't see my nerves or energy level heal, I just felt the negative effect of them - pain and fatigue.
I was a task person - feeling worthwhile when working or accomplishing something. So I was frustrated and depressed that I couldn't do what I did before, especially run, and that I had to rest periodically throughout the day. Thanks to book suggestions and wise counsel from a mentor, I learned how to rest in God's love and give my body the time it needed to heal.

Step by step (literally) I healed - and I know that even though my body doesn't require the rest now it did during that time - I as a whole want and need times of rest. Sundays are that time for me - I slow down, go to church, connect with family and friends, read or watch the clouds go by.

Do you give yourself time to rest?
And if so, when/what will you do?

4 comments:

katdish said...

I don't rest as much as I need to, but Sundays are typically my down time - church, reading, family and sometimes a nap.

Heather Sunseri said...

Oh, I wish I could say I give myself plenty of down time, because I really should. I do try to use some of my Sundays to reconnect with my family. I also have some "me" time on some Fridays, which I love.

Billy Coffey said...

I needed this today, Janet. Because sometimes you get more done while resting than you do while working.

L.L. Barkat said...

"the recovery slowed dramatically"

That's the hard part, yes? When it becomes difficult to see the healing.

Thanks for stopping by Seedlings in Stone recently. :)