Friday, September 21, 2007

Changes

Life seems to be about change every day.

Some days I can go with the flow and allow the changes to be absorbed into my plans and most of the time, I look back and I like what I see. Yet, other times I look around and see the changes that happen, and I wonder ... what is going on here, what was I thinking, was I sleeping when that happened?
Other days I resist the changes and insist on the original plan to go right on track ... which can cause frustration or can cause me to appear stubborn. Yet, if 'I know that I know' the change shouldn't happen, how can I go along with it? I look back at those days with mixed reviews also ... sometimes it was good that I stood my ground, other times I realize my reasons for not changing weren't justified and I was just being stubborn.

So ... where is the balance?

I can't just lay down and allow all changes to happen ... I need to be aware and process my choices before I decide to go with them or not. Since I believe in the one and only God ... taking time to talk to him needs to be a part of my process ... after all He is the source of wisdom.
As I wrote that I realize that someone else struggled with the same problem a few decades ago and he penned a excellent prayer for his dilemma ...


God grant me the serenity to accept the things
I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

- Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments: