Saturday, May 13, 2006

Two Books

I just finished reading two books about overcoming difficult physical issues ...

  1. 'Trading Ashes for Roses' by Connie Pombo. (Our church is looking into having her as the speaker at our ladies retreat this fall)
  2. 'A Gift of Mourning Glories' by Georgia Shaffer.

Both are about their journeys through cancer and a celebration of life beyond cancer. I don't have cancer, but their struggles with a physical issue and the changes it brought into their lives I can identify with.

Though the encouragement I received from both books is not all new stuff, it is very timely ...

  • see the good in each day, despite the pain
  • give myself space to figure out the constantly-changing 'new me'
  • breathe deeply instead of reacting
  • forgive myself when I don't cope the way I think I should
  • stay connected to God
  • forgive others
  • hope to look beyond my current circumstances

No comments: