This is random ... rarely post recipes, but it's been a kitchen morning, so here they are. My husband is gone for the weekend - snowmobiling with friends. When he's gone, I generally don't cook much - don't ask me why, my two teenage sons live here and last night my college son came home and will be here until tonight. And all three opened the fridge a zillion times last night looking for something to eat - so this morning I surveyed my cupboards and fridge and made the following recipes. Had everything I needed, though I was low on cheese, but will pick some up after church and add it.
First I made this for breakfast - I didn't make the topping, cause I didn't want the extra sugar. Actually it was the extra work I didn't want, but it sounds better to say sugar ;)
Blueberry Oatmeal Coffee Cake - 8 Servings
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
Directions - In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk, oil and sour cream. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Pour into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray.
For topping, in a small bowl, combine the oats, flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Then I put lasagna in the crockpot for lunch - this is a great recipe I found recently, I think I saw it in a post or comment at Creative Mom.
1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 tsp of dried Italian seasoning
26 oz jar chunky garden style pasta sauce
1/3 c water
8 uncooked lasagna noodles
15 oz of cottage cheese (or ricotta)
6 oz shredded mozzarella
Cook meat, garlic and italian seasoning in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until beef is browned drain and set aside.
Combine pasta sauce and water in small bowl. Place 4 uncooked noodles in slow cooker coated with cooking spray. (break noodles to fit). Layer with half of turkey, then sauce, spread cottage cheese, sprinkle with mozzarella and repeat all steps one more time ending with mozzarella on top. Cover with lid. Cook on low for 8 hours.
Then I made two batches of this for later and so my college son can take some back to school with him. I omitted the peppers and used spaghetti sauce instead of tomato sauce and chili powder.
Southwestern Baked Spaghetti Recipe 1. Combine hot drained spaghetti, milk and egg; mix well.
40 min | 10 min prep - SERVES 6
• 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti, cooked
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 egg
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon oregano • 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
• 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
2. Pour spaghetti mixture into a buttered 9X13 inch casserole dish.
3. Brown ground beef with onion, bell pepper and garlic; drain.
4. Return drained meat to the skillet and add seasonings; Cook 2 mins
5. Stir in tomato sauce and cook for 2 more minutes.
6. Spread meat mixture over spaghetti.
7. Sprinkle with cheese.
8. Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and is bubbly.
9. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
And I needed something healthy to snack on - this is the second time I made Hummus and each time it's been delicious. Thankfully I had recently bought the ingredients again. Its so easy to make - I plan to make it often.
Hummus With Black Beans and Chickpeas Recipe
Easy, high protein, low fat snack. Serve with pita bread, vegetables, or in a tortilla wrap.
1 min | 1 min prep - MAKES 3 cups SERVES 6
- In a food processor purée ingredients until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill until ready to serve.