Thursday, May 06, 2010

Praying for Nurses

Today, May 6th is the National Day of Prayer. There have been emails circulating about the President canceling the National Day of Prayer. They are wrong ... here is a proclamation he signed for it. 

Today is also National Nurses Day. And National Nurses Week is celebrated from May 6th to 12th, which is the birthday of Florence Nightingale, who is known as the founder of modern nursing. 

I am not a nurse, nor desire to be one (I won't do well with all the blood/pain/etc) but I have a special place in my heart for nurses since 2004. That's when I spent months in the hospital and realized the love/time/energy nurses pour into their job. My nurses were professional and caring. They did what they had to do and so much more. 
A few of my nurses and the Chaplain (on the right)

I did have one nurse (not in picture) who seemed to be struggling with her job and all the care I needed annoyed her, so she was snappy with me. At first, this made me angry, because I couldn't help the situation I was in. But I realized that I had a choice in how I responded to her. It became a personal challenge for me to see if I could help her enjoy her job more. I found little things she did well and thanked her for them. I asked about her world and the challenges of being a nurse. By the time I left the hospital, we were friends. I was pleasantly surprised when she called me a few weeks after I was at home to see how I was doing. 

Since then, I pray for all nurses ... especially ones that are struggling under the pressure of their job. 


To Be A Nurse Is To Walk With God 


To be a nurse is to walk with God,
Along the path that our Master trod;
To soothe the achings of human pain,
To faithfully serve for little gain,
To lovingly do the kindly deed,
A cup of water to one in need,
A tender hand on a fevered brow,
A word of cheer to those living now;
To reach the souls through its body's woe
Oh, this is the way that Jesus would go.
Oh, white-capped nurses with hearts so true,
Our Great Physician is working through you.
-Author Unknown



If you are a nurse - thank you for all you do!! 

Or has there been a nurse that has blessed your world by her/his care? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My wife is a nurse... and is amazing at her job! She is passionate about nursing... so thankful for all the care she gives to so many!