Monday, April 03, 2006

Enjoying God's presence in solitude

Enjoying God's presence in solitude - by Lance Witt

You were designed to enjoy the presence of God, but that's easier said than done. Everything in our culture seems to keep us from experiencing that solitude. We live in an age of continuous activity that consumes all of our time and attention, but it cannot satisfy our soul. By the way a lot of us live, you would think that we believe the bumper sticker theology that says, "Jesus is coming soon. Look busy."
Hurry is a devious enemy of the soul. In our rush to accomplish much and live life to the fullest, we rob ourselves of some of life's richest moments. Following Jesus cannot be a sprint.
The goal of solitude is not so much to unplug from my crazy world, as it is to change frequencies so that I can hear the Father. But how do we do it? It will take some work and cultivation. Psalm 143: 5-10 gives us a great template for our endeavor.

Psalm 143:5-10 (NIV)
[5]I remember the days of long ago;
I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done.
[6] I spread out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land.
[7] Answer me quickly, O Lord; my spirit fails.
Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit.
[8] Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
[9] Rescue me from my enemies, O Lord, for I hide myself in you.
[10] Teach me to do your will, for you are my God;
may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.

No comments: