Friday, January 16, 2009

Following a Beginner's Running Schedule

What a difference the correct information can make!

After the miserable run on Monday, part of me was ready to quit this idea of running again - who's great idea was this anyhow?! But there was also part of me that knew I wanted to continue. I also 'sensed' that if I was to continue running, help would come - didn't know what that meant or what it would look like, but just decided to wait and take one day at a time.
So when a friend at the Runner's Club found this Beginning Running Schedule this week, my interest was peaked and I realized that it could help me with both my lungs and my legs.

Here's the schedule for the 1st week - each following week the running time is increased.
Week 1
Mon.
Run/Walk - Run 1 min, walk 2 min - Repeat 10 times
Tues. Walk easy 30 mins.
Wed. Run/Walk - Run 1 min, walk 2 min - Repeat 10 times
Thurs. Walk easy 30 mins
Fri. Run/Walk - Run 1 min, walk 2 min - Repeat 10 times
Sat. Run/Walk - Run 1 min, walk 2 min - Repeat 10 times
Sun. Rest

The combination of running/walking is how I began running when I first ran in 1994, but this time for some reason, I thought I could just jump right into running with walking breaks. I would walk to warm up, but then I would try to run continuously without any walking breaks.
I just finished the Friday workout and am thrilled with how well both my lungs and legs cooperated! I'm still playing with how fast my pace should be - today this workout equaled 2 miles. Tomorrow I'm going to try and pick up the pace a little.

So thanks to good information, I will continue putting one foot in front of the other and dream of that April Marathon Relay.

No comments: