Thursday, September 24, 2009

What CAN you do?

I've liked this quote by Theodore Roosevelt for a long time ... "Do what you can with what you have where you are."

That thought helped carry me through many seasons -
  • Finding a spiritual identity outside the boxes of my past
  • Begin walk/running at age 28 (never exercised before) after the birth of my third son in four and half years.
  • Progressing to run a full marathon (26.2 miles) two years later
  • Starting and managing a seasonal business for eleven years
  • Waking up in a hospital in California, finding out I almost died twelve days earlier
  • Walk again - after the doctors said I might not
  • Climbing out of the black hole of depression
  • On to running again, along with biking
  • Now I'm hanging tight to that thought - as word by word, I try to write a book.
This morning I was motivated again when I read this in an interview.

People need to stop thinking about what can't be done and start thinking about what CAN? - Gary Vaynerchuk

100 years ago or today - the truth is still the same.
How much time do I (and you) spend focusing on what we can't do rather than on what we can do?
Any area of your life at a standstill until you switch your focus?

2 comments:

Paladin said...

Teddy is one of my personal heros. He was certainly a force to be reckoned with :)

Sheryl said...

wow, does this give me a lot to think about?! perspective is SO important. there are lots of things that i can't do any more, but a whole new life opened for me because of that. does that make any sense? well, it does to me - ha!