Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Winning Wednesday

Yesterday I took part in a Blog Carnival hosted by Peter Pollock and the theme was Grief. My post was about time spent with my mentor Audrey and how she taught me the importance of grieving losses in my life. Audrey gave me a few books to read during this time and I want to give someone a copy of one of them today.

Can You Drink the Cup?
(paperback)


This book isn't only about grieving - its about the range of experiences we go through in life. I found it comforting during the time of my emotional and spiritual 'hurricane.' If you need comfort, inspiration or hope - this book should help you find some.  

It's actually a small book - a quick read, but it's packed with wisdom and many thoughts to ponder. Nouwen pulls from his own experiences, using examples from his life working with the mentally disabled to make his points. Using the cup as a metaphor, Nouwen reflects on three images - Holding, Lifting and Drinking - to articulate basics of the spiritual life.

I'm in the mood to read another book from Henri Nouwen this winter. Any suggestions? 

Leave your name - with or without a comment - and you could win this book. Winner posted on Friday.

6 comments:

Gigi said...

Return of the Prodigal....read and reread never fails to produce some kind of a movement in me....

Amy R. said...

I love ANYTHING by Nouwen...but haven't read this one. Return of the Prodigal is always good...Live of The Beloved...Wounded Healer...

Anonymous said...

ooo yeah...

i'm goin for this one... thanks.

nAncY

nancygetsyourmail@yahoo.com

Maureen said...

The Dance of Life: Weaving Sorrows and Blessings Into One Joyful Step

Maureen
mdoallas@aol.com

S. Etole said...

This is a new author to me ... sounds like he has some firsthand experience.

Janet Oberholtzer said...

Thanks for entering and thanks for the book suggestions!